A BIG THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO HAS ALREADY MADE CALLS TO CONGRESS! For everyone who has yet to call, just so you know...
There is STILL TIME to make sure that RIDER 142 to the Appropriations Bill, which would authorize the wholesale slaughter of Wild Horses, DOES NOT MAKE IT INTO THE BILL!
ON MONDAY, THE HOUSE WILL CONVENE TO DISCUSS THE BILL – (due to the fact that there was another controversial Rider which would have enabled Congress to look at individual taxpayers’ tax returns – but there was a major outcry from the public, and so Congress is being forced to remove that Rider from the same Appropriations Bill. Because Congress is having to re-visit this Bill, they have the OPPORTUNITY TO REMOVE RIDER 142 ON THE APPROPRIATIONS BILL AUTHORIZING THE SLAUGHTER.)
I had a conversation with NY Representative Nita Lowey’s staff today, and they said they had not even heard about this issue. They told me that if they are going to get rid of this Rider, Congress is going to have to hear from LOTS AND LOTS OF PEOPLE THROUGHOUT THIS COUNTRY TO MAKE AN IMPACT THAT WILL BE HEARD!!!
MAKE YOUR VOICE HEARD, FOR THE WILD HORSES, FOR THE LAND, FOR THE NATIVE PEOPLES WHO RELY ON SACRED SPECIES LIKE THE WILD HORSES TO CONTINUE THEIR SPIRITUAL PRACTICES AND CULTURAL LIFEWAYS – IT IS NOT ONLY THE SLAUGHTER OF WILD HORSES THAT WE ARE LOOKING AT. IT IS PART OF THE ONGOING CULTURAL GENOCIDE OF INDIGENOUS PEOPLES WITHIN THIS COUNTRY.
PLEASE HELP BY DOING ANY OR ALL OF THE FOLLOWING ON MONDAY MORNING:
1) Call your Representative and ask then to REMOVE RIDER #142 from the Appropriation Bill. The Congressional Switchboard # is 202-224-3121. They can give you the # of your Representative if you give them your zip code.
2) Call Senator Conrad Burns of Montana and ask him to remove Rider #142 from the Appropriation Bill. He authored it, he can take it off. 202-224-2644 or 800-344-1513.
3) Call the President’s comment line and tell him that you protest the slaughter of Wild Horses. 202-456-2461.
If you missed any of the info sent out before, here's the background on this slaughter:
Dear Friends of Wild Horses,
Attached is a press release and below are actions that you can take to save America's wild horses from slaughter.
The following site will give you access to your Congressional members in your state.
What the current rider to the Appropriations law will do:
* Wild horses over the age of ten will automatically be sent to slaughter
* Wild horses aged ten and under will go to slaughter is they are not adopted in three adoptions
* BLM does not have to advertise adoptions
* Horses will be sold to the highest bidder ("killer buyers")
* Selling wild horses to slaughter will no longer be considered a crime.
Facts about Wild Horses:
* In 1971, there were 303 herd areas designated for wild horses and burros
* Today there are only 186 herd areas left
* In 1974, there were 60,000 wild horses and burros on public lands
* Today there are less than 35,000 wild horses and burros on public lands according to BLM statistics
* BLM plans to bring the population down to 20,000 wild horses and burros
* At above levels, 70% of the herd areas will have less than 100 animals - meaning that populations will not be genetically viable with reduced levels.
* Currently, wild horses are far more genetically diverse compared to any breed of domestic horse in the US. This means that wild horses are healthier and have little to no inbreeding in the herds.
* No age of wild horse is unadoptable. Time and patience allows for a bonding between human and horse regardless of age.
* Because of nature's breeding program, wild horses have nearly perfect conformations and are extremely healthy and survival oriented. They are by nature curious and form lasting human-animal bonds.
* Many of the herds have ancestry dating back to the Spanish Conquistadors.
What will happen:
* Approximately 14,000 wild horses will go to slaughter immediately.
* The door is open for thousands of more horses to go to slaughter
* The great genetic diversity of wild horses will be diminished as BLM reduces populations to below viable levels.
What to do:
* Call your Representative and ask them to remove the Rider #142 from the Appropriation Bill. House is due to meet on 12/6/04
* Call Senator Conrad Burns of Montana and ask him to remove the rider from the Appropriation Bill. 202-224-2644 or 1-800-344-1513.
* Call the President's comment line and tell him that you protest the slaughter of America's wild horses. 202-456-2461
* Call Senator Reid of Nevada and ask him to remove the rider from the Appropriation Bill 202-224-3542.
For further questions:
* Call the International Society for the Protection of Mustangs and Burros - 605-964-6866 or 605-365-6991
* A delegation of Native American presidents, chiefs, and spiritual leaders will go to Washington to speak with the President and Secretary Norton of the Interior. A press conference will be held in Washington. Our goal is to ask that the wild horses not be slaughtered and offer a solution to take excess wild horses to different tribal lands to protect the horses on those lands.
* Introduce legislation to amend the Wild Horse and Burro Act to reinstitute protections in 109th Congress.
* ISPMB is the oldest wild horse and burro organization in the US and responsible for the passage of the 1971 Wild Horse and Burro Act that protected wild horses from slaugher.
* ISPMB is the only organization in the US that manages wild horse herds.
* ISPMB already manages three wild horse herds on the Cheyenne River Reservation. The Cheyenne River Sioux Tribe manages a fourth herd given to them by ISPMB.
* Plans are underway to give a fifth herd to the Osage Indians in OK.
* http://www.ispmb.org/ or firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for helping our wild horses
PO Box 55
Lantry, SD 57636